Explain a probability distribution that is not normal and how to apply that
Carvia Tech | May 22, 2019 | 2 min read | 109 views
Explain a probability distribution that is not normal and how to apply that.
Answer : Though there are many kinds of distributions which are not normal distribution but we will be picking up only two here.
before that, lets first talk about probability distribution.
What is probability distribution?
Probability distribution is kind of equation which tells probability of occurence of each outcome of an experiment. Let’s say we do an experiment of tossing a fair coin. so, probability of getting head or tail for that occurance will be:
In this case, probability will be 0.5 which came from above function. That means, in this experiment probability distribution can be found by above equation. In other words, probability distribution tells us the likelihood of an event or outcome. It is of two types:
Discrete probability distribution (for discrete variables)
Continous probability distribution (for continous variables)
Binomial distribution is a discrete probability distribution of an experiment of which there are only two outcomes, say success or failure. In case of tossing a fair coin, it will also hold binomial distribution as outcome can be only two : head or tail
Its probability density function is:
Exponential distribution is a continous probability distribution that describes the time between events in a random mathematical experiment that consists of outcomes randomly located on a mathematical space, i.e., an experiment in which events occur continuously and independently at a constant average rate like amount of time until specific event occurs.
For example, amount of time from now until it rains would represent exponential distribution as
The probability density function (pdf) of an exponential distribution is
Top articles in this category:
- Top 100 interview questions on Data Science & Machine Learning
- Google Data Scientist interview questions with answers
- Python Flask Interview Questions
- Python coding challenges for interviews
- When using Gaussian mixture model, how do you know it is applicable
- Derivative of 1/x & Tossing a coin problem
- What is the difference between K-mean and EM? How to decide k
Find more on this topic:
Data science, machine learning, python, R, big data, spark, the Jupyter notebook, and much more
Last updated 1 week ago
Recommended books for interview preparation:
- Configure Logging in gunicorn based application in docker container
- Connect to Cassandra with Python 3.x and get Pandas Dataframe
- Connect to MySQL with Python 3.x and get Pandas Dataframe
- Connect to Postgresql with Python 3.x and get Pandas Dataframe
- Python - Get Google Analytics Data
- Installing PySpark with Jupyter notebook on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
- Python send GMAIL with attachment
- Send rich text multimedia email in Python
- Blueprints in Flask API Development
- Singleton Design Pattern in Python